Our client is looking for an experienced Highway Engineer to join their team in Bedfordshire
The role involves the design and delivery of highways improvement schemes to programme, quality and budget with input from the Senior Engineer. Projects will cover a wide range of traffic engineering / highways improvement schemes from outline design to construction and delivery of As Built details for maintenance information. Central Bedfordshire is an ambitious local authority with a large growth agenda tied to its Vision and Values – to make Central Bedfordshire ‘A great place to live and work’.
– Comply with safe working practices in accordance with Health & Safety Policy demonstrating commitment for zero incidents.
– Assist in the development, implementation of processes and procedures that achieve client and business key performance indicators.
– Any other duties reasonably requested by your line manager in connection with the business and its stakeholders and customers
– To design a range of traffic engineering / highways design schemes using existing best practice guidance and within the current legislative framework.
– To assist with the preparation of reports for projects, to Clients and attend meetings regarding such.
– To prepare and assist in the management and monitoring of works programmes or services. To ensure that schemes are delivered on time and within budget.
– To provide timely and accurate advice to Councillors, Parish Councils and the general public on all highway-related matters as required.
– To ensure the team’s performance in providing speedy and courteous responses to queries and complaints is in accordance with relevant targets and standards.
– To assist with the management and provision of technical support for staff dealing with all aspects of the service.
– To aid the functional leader or Senior Engineer in relation to all aspects covered within the group and deputise in their absence.
– Support Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System.
– To ensure strong budgetary control and financial management is undertaken throughout areas of responsibility.
– To appear as required as expert witness at Crown Court, Public Inquiries and Hearings, prepare detailed evidence as specialist on practice issues and liaise with Counsel and solicitors in case preparation.
– Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly expressing opinions, information and key points of arguments clearly and structured to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
– Develops job knowledge and expertise through Continuous Professional Development.
– Shares expertise and knowledge with others.
– Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
– Makes presentations and undertake public speaking with skill and confidence.
– Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback.
– Customer needs and satisfaction focused.
– Sets high standards for quality and quantity.
– Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way, monitors and maintains quality and productivity.
– Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances.
– Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks.
– Conversant with Microsoft applications – Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint and use of specialist software such as AUTOCAD and its range of complimentary packages.
– Knowledge and experience of budgetary governance, management and control measures.
– Membership of or working towards membership of a relevant Professional Institution and demonstrate evidence of continuous professional development.
– Required to be mobile throughout an operational area (or throughout Essex or similar where more appropriate) and therefore a valid driving licence and use of car if not provided, unless the role can be undertaken effectively by alternative transport arrangements.
Experience and Qualifications:
– HNC/HND Civil Engineering or equivalent preferable.
– Mandatory – Current valid driving licence and use of a car.
– Desirable – Formal qualification in safety management.
– Substantial experience within Highways Sector gained within the design and / or delivery of Integrated Transport projects or similar.
– Extensive knowledge and application of Highway Legislation including the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) and Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).
– Extensive knowledge of design procedures, guidance and standards and good practice documents including the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Traffic Advisory Leaflets (TALs).
– Knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation including Construction (Design & Management) Regulations
– Appropriate knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation including Construction (Design & Management) Regulations and an appropriate level of understanding of the principles of safety and the ability to apply this in the workplace.
– A good understanding of the NEC3 form of contract and its application within Highways Works.
– Experience of coordinating multiple projects within an urban and rural environment.
– Good IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Project as a minimum.
– A comprehensive understanding of the Traffic Management Act and its application.
– Experience of working with contractors and the public.
– Experience of budgetary management at operational level, including reporting of works progress detailing cost, value and turnover.
If you feel that you are right for this job technically, but the salary, location or seniority does not suit you specifically then please still feel free to send us your CV. We constantly recruit for jobs very similar to this one at all levels UK Wide. We are always keen to chat with you discreetly about your employment situation.
Even if you are happy in your current job for now, we always welcome calls from Civil Engineering professionals keen to make their introductions for future months or years. Our specialist team has a combined 70+ years’ experience in this market. Please call Adam Butler at Carrington West on (phone number removed) for more information.
By applying for this position, you are agreeing for Carrington West to hold and process your personal data in accordance to our Data Protection Policy. Your data will be shared with third party clients specifically relevant to any roles you have applied for. If at any stage, you wish to withdraw your consent please contact us